Saturday, June 2, 2012

Thanks Giving Day 1986, we just finished dinner and were sitting around the table, my mom noticed Danny's right eye rolled in towards his nose, we rushed him to Wills Eye Hospital in Philadelphia. After a few hours there he was transported to Children's Hospital, after a week of testing and experiments he was diagnosed with Myestimia Gravis, very rare in a child(Danny was 5)! Danny was prescribed Mestinon, a mdeication that came with various side effects but controlled the condition almost completely. The only physical effects people would notice was what appeared to outsiders as a slight speech impediment. Myestimia Gravis is a neuromuscular disease under the umbrella of The Muscular Dystrophy Association, an organization that provided great care of him over the years! I don't think there was ever a doctors visit where we wouldn't ask in some fashion whether it would effect his life span. Besides the side effects of the medicine Danny was a normal kid, he could be a monster in his youth, I guess attributable to me for starting to teach him martial arts as a 4 year old. Once we got him to understand that his skills were for defense only, he started to transform into the person he was, by age 10 he had become a gentleman. Late August 2002 all of us delivered his sister to college, including my parents who were Danny's idols! A few days later Danny awoke with bluish nails, we immediately called the doctor's office. It was a father and son team, the father being our long term doctor, the son being less than a year out of medical school. By the time we got to the office Danny was lethargic and actually nodding out! The doctor(son) came in and started talking to us, Danny nodding out in front of him. The doctor examined his bluish nails and had a short conversation with Danny. After flipping through his file at what I estimated to be ten seconds, he said,"Danny, stop giving your parents a hard time, go home play with the cat and dog, get on the computer and LEAVE YOUR PARENTS ALONE!" He then turned to us and said,"nothing to worry about, he's depressed because his sister went away to school" Two days later I had an appointment with the same doctor, I said,"doc, are you sure, I think he needs a hospital" He responded,"I talked to my father, he agrees with my diagnosis 100%, worry about your own health and leave the doctoring to us" Two nights later after two days of trying to motivate my "depressed" son, I realized he wasn't eating much, I said, Dannyboy, you need to eat, I don't care what time it is(12:15am)I'll go get you anything you want. He decided on cream chip beef so I headed to a local diner. Upon arrival home I asked my wife Terry, where's Danny, she replied, in bed. I yelled for him and he didn't answer, upon going into his room I discovered him non responsive, when the gravity on the situation hit me I scooped him up out of his bed like he was a feather! My usual advise to everyone is to walk it off, thought I could get him to do that. As he was falling to the ground slipping from my arms, my wife walked in screaming, DO SOMETHING! We put in back in bed and while I did CPR she called 911! Four minutes later when the police arrived I was still on automatic pilot, pumping my son's chest, breathing him to his mouth while screaming his name! I do remember the police officer asking me where I learned that and instructing me to continue while he hooked up the AED!

No comments:

Post a Comment